A glut of beetroot is not hard to use up with this gorgeous Beetroot and Chocolate Brownie recipe sent in by reader, Audrey McColl.
You Will Need:
- 500g whole, raw beetroot (3-4 medium beetroots)
- 100g unsalted butter
- 200g plain chocolate (70%)
- 1tbsp vanilla extract
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 100g plain flour
- 25g cocoa powder
How to Make It:
- Top, tail, and peel the beetroot (wear rubber gloves to avoid pink hands).
- Roughly chop beetroot and put in a large bowl. Add a dash of water, cover with clingfilm. and microwave for 12 minutes.
- Heat oven to 180/160 degrees fan. Grease and line a 20 x 30cm tin.
- Roughly chop chocolate and cut butter into cubes.
- Tip cooked beetroot into a sieve to drain excess liquid.
- Put the beetroot in a food processor/blender with chocolate, butter, and vanilla extract. The chocolate and butter will melt as you blitz. Whizz until mixture is fairly smooth.
- Put sugar and eggs into a large bowl and beat with a hand mixer for 2 minutes until pale and foamy.
- Spoon beetroot mixture into the bowl with the sugar and eggs. Use a large, metal spoon to fold it into the whisked eggs. Conserve as much air as you can. Sift in flour and cocoa powder and gently fold to a smooth batter.
- Pour into tin and bake for 25 minutes or until risen with a slight quiver under centre of crust when you shake the tin.
- Leave to cool completely and cut into squares to serve.