Love Your Garden? Then How About Opening it for Charity?

Scotland’s Gardens Scheme is calling for gardens of all shapes and sizes to open in aid of good causes in 2022. Scotland’s Gardens Scheme enables people to visit hundreds of wonderful, mostly private gardens throughout Scotland each year, raising money for charity through admission prices, teas, and plant sales. Many gardens are privately owned and are normally inaccessible to the public at other times.

Every year, the charity invites new gardens to take part and is now recruiting for 2022. Gardens of all shapes and sizes are welcome, from castles to cottages and from urban to rural. The charity also encourages community gardens and allotments to open, and groups of smaller gardens to open together such as in villages or local streets. 

This year alone, over 400 gardens have taken part in the scheme. Despite a delayed start due to Covid-19 restrictions, over 25,000 visitors have enjoyed garden openings throughout Scotland so far this year.

Liz Stewart, National Organiser for Scotland’s Gardens Scheme said, “We are having a great summer in terms of openings, with so much positive feedback from both visitors and garden openers. It’s not just about raising money for charity, it has also been a wonderful way to bring people together again after such a difficult year.” 

One of garden visitor said, “The owners of the gardens are always friendly and helpful. Some have even given me cuttings of a plant I particularly admired. Sometimes there are plants to buy at reasonable prices. Always a lovely day out.”

The openers of three gardens from Helensburgh who joined forces to welcome visitors, reported after their open day in May, “We had a very successful garden opening yesterday. 235 visitors and have made just over £2000. It was very busy and as we are in a town, most people could walk to the gardens. We had visitors from Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Kippen.” 

The difference you’ll make 
Gardens opening through Scotland’s Garden Scheme help to support the work of hundreds of charities and Garden Openers can choose to support a cause close to their heart, with 60% of funds raised going to their charity of choice. The remaining 40% goes to support Scotland’s Garden Scheme with net proceeds going to their main beneficiaries, the Queen’s Nursing Institute Scotland, Maggie’s and Perennial.

Lizzie Shofield and her husband Malcolm opened their garden at Cuthbert’s Brae to the public for the first time this year

The support you’ll receive 
Gardens are promoted in the Scotland’s Gardens Scheme famous yellow Guidebook, on its website, on social media and in the press, with advice and support from a wonderful team of local volunteers and Head Office staff. Gardens may open as a one-off event, as a series of openings, as part of a group or even by arrangement. 

With reports of many people gaining a new interest in gardening over the past year, it is a great chance to share your space, your passion for gardening and to inspire others by opening your garden as part of Scotland’s Gardens Scheme. New gardens are being recruited right now so get in touch before 30 September! 

More details are available on the Scotland’s Gardens Scheme website or by email on info@scotlandsgardens.org or by calling 0131 226 3714. 

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s